Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Demisexuality


Demisexuality...What is it?  I can hear people asking me this question right now.  I use this descriptor to explain how I see myself  and how I navigate within polyamory. I didn't even know there was a word for how I am until I saw it somewhere online and then I'm like Ohhhh, that's totally me!

Demisexuality is defined as a person who does not experience sexual attraction unless they form an emotional connection.   The term demisexuality comes from the orientation being halfway between sexual and asexual . This comic describes me the best: GenderFluid-the comic 

Specifically, I want to talk about how I navigate my poly life while being demi. Being demi has made it harder to connect with people, specifically men.  I need to be able to connect with people and see how we mesh together. I want to know that we have a deeper connection and we can talk about so many topics. 

That's not to say I don't automatically feel sexual attraction for people because I still will see certain people and really want to have sex with them because that happens as well.  But for the most part I want to know the person  and have some sort of friendship established first.  I definitely don't need a romantic connection like most of the definitions say, but that's what I need and may not be what  other demisexual folks need.

Lately I've tried to date and connect with others but of course it takes so much time to truly get to know people. Society seems to want everything fast without the work. For me relationships can't be placed in the life microwave and two minutes later you have something so great and beautiful that everyone around envies you. No, good relationships require work and communication and that takes time.   Are you demisexual or fall under the Asexual spectrum?   Please share your experiences in the comments.

Also, here's an awesome resource for anyone who may think they're demisexual here.

No comments:

Post a Comment